by Jenny Brandis
½ cup of vinegar and/or 2 tablespoons of salt
Generous squirt of dishwashing detergent
powdered dyes - 3 or 4 different colours.
raw wool that is not too greasy
- Blend together the water, vinegar, salt and detergent.
- Place wool cut side up in stainless steel or enamel pan. Pack to edges.
- Pour liquid mix to ½ way up the wool.
- Heat the pan to soak the wool.
- Sprinkle on the dyes randomly.
- Simmer with the lid on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse in hot water until the bleeding of colour stops.
- Dry the wool in the shade.
- Spin wool in handfuls of colour, alternating to give a pleasing finish.
If using a microwave oven use a plastic container and cook for 3-6 minutes.
NOTE: I have reservations about using the microwave - don't we cook in that??